The Thematic Network on Small Hydropower
What is the Thematic Network on Small Hydropower?
The Thematic Network on Small Hydropower (TNSHP) is a European Commission - DG TREN (Transport & Energy) – and Swiss Government funded project in the framework of the EU’s FP5 (Fifth Framework Programme for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration) within the specific programme: Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development (ENERGIE).
The TNSHP aims to identify the future Research and Market needs of the SHP sector within the EU and the Candidate Countries in order to overcome barriers and promote better exploitation of the resource as regards costs, public acceptance, integration into energy systems, technological issues, environmental impacts and fulfilment of White Paper targets on installed capacity.
ESHA, the European Small Hydropower Association, is the European co-ordinator of this project which includes ten additional partners: ADEME (France), Studio Frosio (Italy), KÖ (Austria), SERO (Sweden), EPFL-LCH (Switzerland), MHyLab (Switzerland), SCPTH (France), ISET (Germany), IT Power (United Kingdom) and the Lithuanian Hydropower Association (Lithuania).
The TNSHP runs for 36 months starting from March 2003.
What are the key topics of the TNSHP?
- Marketing for SHP, SHP Statistics and SHP public image.
- Environmental integration: integrated design, social acceptance, bioengineering, reserved flow, environmental effects of water abstractions from rivers, assessment of environmental impact, multipurpose use of water resources.
- Engineering aspects: Civil engineering works (weirs and water storage, water intakes, fish migration, erection costs, waterways), mechanical equipment (technological developments of turbines, adequacy of technology for new SHP as well as refurbishment of existing SHP plants) and electrical equipment (generators, operation modes, control and monitoring, etc.)
How is the TNSHP organised?
The network is composed of:
- A Steering Group that oversees the network activities and is responsible for policy issues and quality and control of documents produced for publications.
- Three key discussion groups organised around the key topics are dealt by the thematic network.
- e-network (electronic networking)
- Network Secretariat
Small hydropower engineering: a wide area of innovations for green power generation. Download
Standarisation adn Design rules fro Civil Engineering works of SHP.To get the report or the software please contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (++41 21 693 24 05)
State of the Art of SHP in EU-25. Download
- Proposal for a European Strategy on RD&D for SHP. (Summary of the Proposal and the Proposal)
- Guide on how to develop a small hydro site available in English, German, French and Swedish. (Please visit the ESHA publications page)
- Checklist for SHP developers available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Report on SHP situation in New Member States and Candidate Countries
- Brochure on environmental integration of SHP plants available in English, Italian and German.
- Overview of SHP installed capacities in the EU
- FAQ on Small hydropower available in English, French, German and Spanish
- Reserve Flow: Critical review of Methods of Calculation
- Reserved Flow: Effects of Additional Parameters
- Brochure on SHP for Developing Countries
- 6th Thematic Network Workshop on Small Hydropower: SHP in Developing Countries, Villach, Austria, 18th October 2005.
- 5th Thematic Network on Small Hydropower, Lausanne, Switzerland, 30 June- 1st July 2005
- 4th Thematic Network on Small Hydropower, SHP R&D Strategy and needs, Porto, Portugal, 19th October 2004.
- 3rd Thematic Network Workshop on Small Hydropower, SHP and Fish Ladders, Vienna, Austria, 5th October 2004.
- 2nd Thematic Network Workshop on Small Hydropower: SHP and Public Image. Falkenberg, Sweden, 18th June 2004
- 1st Thematic Network Workshop on Small Hydropower, Bolzano, Italy. 18th September 2003
With the support of: